The Big Picture
- IBM Z is a family of IBM mainframe computers
- IBM Z is capable of hosting five unique operating systems
- IBM Z is capable of concurrently running thousands of operating systems on a single mainframe
- z/OS is the IBM Z flagship operating system and the primary focus of the contest challenges
- IBM Z manages business critical data
the environment, IBM Z and z/OS is much more with a rich set of capabilities that include:
- Open source technologies
- Cloud technologies
- APIs to web enable any IBM Z business services
- Advanced security and encryption
2020 contest plans are to showcase a few recent IBM Z advancements, such as the
- z/OS Linux Container Extensions
Zowe explanation below is delivered by developers (not marketing). If you do not want to watch everything, forward to near the end to view the desktop interface to z/OS known as zLUX, Z Light weight User eXperience.Zowe, open source DevOps framework
If curious about other IBM Z operating systems, then visit:
IBM Z IT infrastructure operating systems
While z/OS has many connection services, you are only required to connect to 2 services during the contest.
Each connection service uses the same IP Address but different Port numbers.
|IDz (Optional)||4035 and 6715|
If unable to connect from school campus, try from home. You or a faculty member may need to communicate
the following information to your school campus network administrator to ensure the following IP address
and port numbers are allowed to be accessed from the school campus network.
Please take the time to validate communication path to contest system.
From workstation command prompt:
If ping is unsuccessful, then contact local network administrator.
When contacting network administrator, pass along IP address and above Port numbers.
Workstation or network firewall software can block IP addresses and Port numbers needed to participate in this contest.